This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

Headquarters

“Villa Italia” –  Headquarters of the Embassy of Italy.

It stands on a land originally 40 hectares, now 15, granted by Emperor Menelik to Italy at the end of the 19th century, like similar concessions to the powers of the time (France, Britain, Russia, Germany).

Since then it has been the seat of the Italian Diplomatic Mission to Ethiopia (Legation first, and Embassy since 1952). The actual Residence, built in its original part by the Italian architect and builder Castagna, is the result of successive interventions between 1902 and 1924.

During the years of Italian East Africa (1936 – 1941) it was the residence of the Governor and then Viceroy Amedeo d’Aosta and his family. From 1941 it was used by the Ethiopian Imperial Household as a residence for distinguished guests. Upon the reestablishment of diplomatic relations in 1952 it was returned to Italy, albeit reduced from 40 to 15 hectares, and at the same time Ethiopia was given the Embassy headquarters in Rome in the Nomentano district.

Today, Villa Italia houses the Ambassador’s Residence, the Diplomatic and Consular Chancelleries, the Military Attaché’s residence and offices, the Development Cooperation Offices, and other residences of Embassy employees. There are service buildings and a stable. Between the buildings and connecting roads are gardens, wooded areas and sports grounds.

Parco e Giardini Ambasciata Addis Abeba – A study (only available in italian) conducted by Prof. Lia Beccarelli about the park of the Embassy..